VILLAGES OF TINOS
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Greek English French Italian Russian
Swedish Polish
 

Back to Tinos town & the villages

“Triandaros”

Tο χωριό Τριαντάρος στην ΤήνοIt is a big lively village with the traditional elements preserved, but also with many new houses where foreign people reside. It has a great view, many arches, narrow alleys and steps, while the church of the Disciples of Christ is a dominant aspect in the heart of the village. The reconstructed olive oil press and the water source at “Lefkes” (due to the trees that abound in the area) attract the tourists. At the entrance of the village and beside the war memorial, there is the bust of “ Ambrosius Pleanthidis”, bishop of “Moschonisia” and national holy martyr, made by the sculptor N. Paraskevas, while in the village there is also the bust of the eminent citizen “Gregory Plianthis”, Bishop of Chalkis under 50 years. This village is the birthplace of many traditional “builders” of the island. But mostly, the village was the birthplace of some significant personalities such as Ioannis Kardamitsis (Former High-School Principal, Mayor of Tinos and president of the Holy Institute of Virgin Mary P.I.E.T.), as well as Savvas Aperghis (Teacher, scholar, writer and Mayor of Tinos). The village association organizes traditional festivals, such as the customary “pork-slaughters” and the ripping carnival ball. There are also traditional bakeries, taverns and coffee-shops in this village.

THE CARNIVAL BALL

Formerly, in the village of "Triandaros", during the days of the carnival, the villagers kept the tradition of the “carnival ball” alive. For 21 days, as long as the carnival lasted, the inhabitants of the village returned at home at night, entertaining themselves with songs such as the following: Oh, my tongue, please start Singing a song in honor Of our friends here, To entertain our little nice company Then, they continued with sarcastic and erotic verses. In the meantime they danced spontaneous merry dances following the rhythms being played. Today, attempts are being made by the people of "Triandaros" and the association of the village, for the rebirth of this original tradition.

 

“Berdemiaros”
Το χωριό Μπερδεμιάρος στην ΤήνοIt is a small picturesque thorp the little sibling of "Triandaros", built on a mountain slope, with its houses climbing the hill. After a period of de-population, its houses were mostly inhabited by Europeans, who kept the traditional style unaltered either in those they built or in the ones they restored.

“Dyo Horia” (Two Villages)

Τα Δυο Χωριά στην ΤήνοThis village, with the panoramic view to the Aegean and the neighboring islands, has several water sources and green spaces, as well as a healthy climate. According to tradition, the five natural sources were dedicated to the corresponding Nymphs of the village. Its name comes from the two villages existing in the area, that were previously separated by a river.

Afterwards, due to the reconstruction, those two villages were united. Its central square with the plane-trees is one of the most beautiful of the island, with an ultra-centenarian plane-tree near the water source. Here, the village association “Glisterni” organizes lamb-roasting feasts with music and dances, during Easter. Its two churches are placed at the two opposite ends of the village, namely the church of Saint John and the Assumption of the Virgin Mary church. The traditional path connecting this village with the nearby villages of “Arnados” and “Triandaros” is worth walking through. During the summer season, a cafeteria and a tavern are open, with delicious dishes and a marvelous view. From here you can get to the beaches of “Lychnaftia” and “Fero Horio”.

“Arnados”
Το χωριό Αρνάδος στην ΤήνοIt is placed east of “Kehrovouni” Convent and is one of the most ancient villages but also the one with the highest altitude. Its great traditional architecture makes it worth visiting. There, you will find mediaeval arches and arcades, the cobble-stone pavements, the historical water fountain of 1823 at the upper square, but also the view to the Aegean and Mykonos island. The village town planning bears a great resemblance to that of the adjacent “Kehrovouni Convent”, and that is not so surprising. It has two big churches, namely the “Assumption of Virgin Mary”, within the village limits and Aghioi Anargyroi by the road to the village of “Dyo Choria”. “Panaidaki”, (or little Madonna-Church) is another interesting monument hidden in an arcade, where, the legend says, a so called Secret School operated.

The village has two museums, the Church Museum, founded in 1987, with the ecclesiastical equipment of churches in the area and books, and the agricultural museum with domestic appliances and old tools. The active village association publishes the newspaper “Our Arnados”. There are some cafeterias and taverns.

“Moundados”
O Μουντάδος της ΤήνουMoundados is placed on the slope of “Kehrovouni” mountain. It is one more traditional village with many arches, white houses close to each other, roads paved with marble slabs and many steps. In the village center, there is a stone bridge over a creek flowing during winter months, to which the village owes its greenery. Nearby, there is a traditional well. The impressive church of Saint John, the village “cathedra”, has a marble crafted chancel screen and holy icon stands, while more old churches are all over the village. The inhabitants of “Moundados” and its active association offer their hospitality during the two church festivities of Saint John and Aghioi Anargyroi at “Gyrla”. Until the beginning of 1800, the village had a tradition in commercial activities, fishing and seafaring (the henchman of Miaoulis, Captain Sigalas came from here). One of the best olive presses of Tinos was located here until the 60’s. The village is the birthplace of the “Lambaki” brothers, as well as John Platis and the archeologist Lila Maragou.

 

JOHN PLATIS
(Wood carver-image engraver)

He was born in 1838 in “Moundados” and, at an early age, moved with his parents to Athens and inhabited the house of Alexander Rangavis. The poet detected the boy’s talent very early and prompted his parents to let him attend lessons at the school of Fine Arts. Indeed, at the age of 13 the young Platis started taking lessons in painting, chalcography and wood- carving from the teacher and monk Agathonicus Triandafilou. He was a classmate of the great painters Lytras and Ghizis, as well as of other major personalities of the Art world, becoming a prominent figure, due to his artistic creations The church of the Annunciation gallery has some of his work, the most important being the one of the Trinity, sized 24.5 x 29.5 cm, in which 57 religious configurations are portrayed, as well as the “Virgin Mary of Kikkos”, while a very important piece is also called “Axion Esti”, and is to be found at Mount Athos. (Agion Oros). Platis had participated in several exhibitions, and was widely acclaimed. He taught his art at the Popular University of the “Friends of the People Society” for many years, free of charge. During the last thirty years of his life, he lost his sight, and that is why no pieces of his exist from that period. He passed away in 1928, at the age of 90. 

“LAMBAKI” BROTHERS

The three Lambaki brothers, come from “Mountados”. The first one, John (1851-1916), was the official photographer of the Olympic Games of 1896, as well as the Royal Family photographer. The second one, George (1854-1914), studied Christian Archaeology and was one of the founding members of the “Christian Archeological Society”. The rescue and preservation works of “Dafni” Monastery are his own merit, while, at the same time he held a professorship of Christian Archaeology at the Athens University. The third one, Emmanuel (1859-1909), a painter, studied at the School of Fine Arts and continued at the Academy of Munchen with Nicholas Gizis as a professor and had earned a scholarship by the Panhellenic Foundation of Virgin Mary (P.I.E.T). Several of his works were awarded prizes in painting exhibitions and in 1905 he founded a private School of Painting. From 1903 to 1909, year of his death, he had been a Professor at the School of Fine Arts.



“Karya”
Το χωριό Καρυά στην ΤήνοThe village, being built on a slope and the green area of the bank, is distinguished for its proximity to “Xomburgo”. It has a view of the bank of mountain “Kehrovounio” with the chapels, the dovecotes and the Monastery overhanging on the top, but also the harbor town and the blue of the Aegean Sea. It is undoubtedly one of the most ancient villages, as the name reveals: Karya from the people called Kares (it is also said that it was named after the walnut tree “Karidia” which abounded in the area). It has been an important head-village, both during the Venetian period and afterwards. It should be mentioned that here was the place of the first cheese-dairy of the island. A school for female students a lyceum and afterwards another school existed as well. Today, some old mansions, but also three more parochial churches (Saint Eleutherios, Saint Dimitrios and Madonna’s Assumption ) bear testimony of the old glory. The newly built houses, according to the traditional standards, the beautiful gardens, the cobbled alleys, the drinking fountains and the beautiful circular square, induce in visitors a wish to discover the beauties of the village. Its village park, the only one on the island protected, is a trademark with its post- Byzantine church of Virgin Mary's Assumption and the war memorial, work of Art by “Evriviadis Lampaditis”.

This is the birthplace of important men and women: “Hatzigeorgakis Siotis”, a great benefactor of Virgin Mary, “John Siotis, son of Anthony”, who had been Minister of Education under the period of 1922-1923, as well as the first woman sculptor of the Cyclades, “Irene Hariati”. Here one can visit an interesting folk-museum, which is housed in the old elementary school, property of the village cultural association. A marble workshop is also operating, as well as a carpenter workshop and a tavern, beside the ravine with the old well under the shadow of the trees. The active cultural association publishes a newspaper “The Voice of Karia” arranging all sorts of festivals and similar activities, thus continuing to feature the traditional cultural events of this historic village and Tinos in general.

SUMMER FESTIVALS IN KARYA

In 1996 the association of Karya, after having completed 50 years of creative progress, began to organize outdoor festivals in the village square. Those festivals continue until today and they are considered a cultural treasure for the island, as they are being attended by hundreds of the association’s friends. History, culture, language, tradition and religion are the themes of those festivals, while the collaboration of outstanding Tinian scholars contributes to their success. Topics like “Greek language studies and the local dialects in Tinos”, “The history of Xomburgo”, “The contribution of the clergy in the progress of the Orthodox church”, ”Modern Tinian poets”, “Tinian press and its history”, “Last century ships”, are only some of the ones that have been already presented. At the end of every festival, the hospitable inhabitants of “Karia” offer homemade confectionery and raki (arrack) to the guests.

Tripotamos- Sperados
Τα χωριά Τριπόταμος και ΣπεράδοςTripotamos is the first village the tourist meets when travelling to the hinterland of the island, at the roots of mount Xomburgo, built among three rivers, where it also got its name (Tripotamos=three rivers). It is one of the oldest villages with arches, arcades, steps, cobbled alleys and both traditional and modern houses. The parochial church of Virgin Mary stands out and, on the day of its celebration, the villagers, keeping the tradition alive, organize parties in their houses inviting all guests and worshipers. Here, the custom of “The Birth of Jesus” (Kavos) is celebrated during Christmas, following local mediaeval New Year traditions. Close by, there is the cheese dairy factory of the island, as well as pottery and confectionery workshops. “Sperados” is a small thorp that belongs to Tripotamos. The delicate houses give it a picturesque aspect, while a traditional path connects it with “Tripotamos”. In the middle of it, you can encounter the old elementary school. Those two thorps are “birthplaces” of many professors, such as the Greek Academy member “Markos Siotos”, artists of the figurative arts like G. Paraskevas (Icon painter and teacher), “Fr. Desypris” (Icon painter), “D. Desypris” (painter), while the modern time philosopher Cornelius Kastoriadis also lived here.

THE FRATERNITY BANQUET IN TRIPOTAMOS (KAVOS)

It is a Christmas custom taking place annually on the 25th of December in Tripotamos. One family, headed by a “kavos”, as its leader is called, takes care of all yearly matters and obligations concerning the parochial church of the village, honoring the “Presentation of the Virgin Mary”. The noon of Christmas day, the “kavos”- household prepares a sumptuous banquet, (including soup, boiled meat, onion stew, dolmas, roast and fruit) this way expressing love and brotherhood. The banquet is attended solely by the village men and the priest. After the meal, some of the men, along with the priest, move the Icon of the “Jesus Nativity” to the house of the new host, who will be taking over the previous host’s duties, chanting Christmas anthems. They place the Icon on the table near the priest, who distributes holy bread, while candles are lit by everyone. After the new “Kavos” takes over, sweets are offered, wishes are exchanged and the Icon is returned to the church. The next day, they all gather at the old leader’s house and eat what has been left from the previous day. The duties of the old “kavos” end with this Christmas meal, apart from his duty to light the candle in front of the Icon, until the end of the year. This custom is being followed since very old times and, as it seems, will continue for many more years, as proven by the fact that the catalogue with the chiefs reaches the year of 2025.

SAINT TRYFON FESTIVAL (01/02)

On the 1st of February, the day of Saint Tryfon celebration, and after the first opening of the year’s barrels of wine of Saint Minas has taken place (11/11), a competition for the best wine has been established under the past few years. This day, at the homonymous chapel near the village Tripotamos, after the Mass, a real festival is being held by the villagers who arrange a wine competition. For that cause every wine producer brings his own new wine. A committee is formed by the people attending and everyone offers wine to be tasted. The committee chooses the best and everyone congratulates. A traditional feast follows.

“Ktikados”
To χωριό Κτικάδος στην ΤήνοIt is a traditional village with a view to seaside “Kionia”, with large houses decorated with lintels, paved with marble slabs, alleys and arches. At the entrance of the village, there is the beautiful Catholic church of the "Holy Cross" distinguished by the significant bell tower, which is dated in the 17th century, and further away the Candlemas church called also Megalomata (Big eyed), with the unique marble entrance (Orthodox). The old tap with the marble laundresses complete the image of the picturesque village. A tavern and a traditional cafeteria can also be found there.

A CUSTOM OF “LOVE”, IN THE VILLAGE OF “KTIKADOS”

To Έθιμο ΑγάπηςEvery year on Easter Monday, after Mass at the village’s cathedral dedicated to the Candlemas, a procession of the Resurrection Icon takes place around the village. On twelve o’ clock at noon, the bell-ringing invites both the locals and the visitors into participating at a Communal table, the custom of “Love”, as it is named, held in an appropriate room under the church, with a capacity of 300 people. They all sit together, near each other and eat veal soup, roast meat and a variety of appetizers, as the custom dictates, all cooked by the women of the village. After the meal, a chant follows together with a speech by the parish priest and, afterwards, a memorial service is held, in the name of every single parish priest that had ever served at the chapel as well as for the villagers’ souls. After the Sanctus comes to an end, the collection tray of the church “comes out” for the villagers to contribute for the preservation of the custom of “Love”.

“Hatzirados”
Ο Χατζηράδος της ΤήνουIt is a picturesque village with a beautiful view, paths paved with flagstones, white houses and yards filled with flowers. It is embellished by the cathedra of the Holy Trinity, dated from 1850, while near the square there is the second parish church, the old Trinity, which was renamed as the “Transfiguration of Jesus Christ”. At the entrance of the village, there is a tavern-cafeteria.

“Kambos”
Το χωριό ΚάμποςIt is placed in the center of the island, in the fertile valley of the Tinian hinterland. The church of Saint Catherine in the village (Orthodox) is a remnant of the brief Russian dominance on the island, with a remarkable carved chancel screen. It was built in 1771, in honor of the empress Catherine the Great, of Russia, under the supervision of G. Dorizas and the chief of the Russian fleet, and was financed by Admiral Orlof. The second church, the Trinity (Catholic), stands out for its beautiful pebble-paved front yard. Nun Pelaghia (later declared as a Saint), who dreamt of the Virgin Mary Icon, was born here. At the edge of the village, there is the old elementary school, which was conceded by the borough of Xomburgo, so as to be transformed into the museum of the painter “Costas Tsoklis”. It is the only museum of this modern artist and comprises an attraction for the village’s visitors and Tinos, in general. Until recently the last windmill was functioning near the village of “Kambos” and it is considered the best preserved windmill on the island. The village's traditional well with the marble “laundresses” are preserved until today. Here, the bakery makes tasty crackers, while there is also a cafeteria.

HONEY CELEBRATION (15/09)

Γιορτή μελιού στην ΤήνοOn the 15th of September, at the village “Kampos” they celebrate the production of honey. Every apiarist/producer of honey brings samples of his new production and offers to everyone being there to celebrate this “sweet” custom. A treat with honey-arrack follows, together with honey-based local confectionary, rich eating and naturally, the necessary supplement of a celebration like this; violins and dancing with traditional songs, “Syrtos” and “Ballos”.

“Tarambados”
Περιστεριώνες στο χωριό ΤαραμπάδοςIt is built since 1700, with many arches and unique beautiful houses, and the church of the Angels "Taxiarchs" which dominates the village profile. The nun, that dreamt of Virgin Mary of Vrissi, whose Icon is kept in the church, used to live here. Its position is a privileged one, because it is placed at the little valley where the unique cluster of dove-cotes exists. Those dove-cotes differ from the rest, on account of their size, their beauty and their artistic design. After an initiative of the association called “Friends of Greenery”, most of them have been repaired. 

VIRGIN MARY OF "VRISSI"

Virgin Mary of “Vrissi” comprises the largest Catholic pilgrimage on the island. The church and its building compound are built beside the road to “Exo Meri” of Tinos, near the crossroads of Saint Marina, leading to the sea. It is built in a green meadow, among olive trees, aspens, cypresses and eucalyptuses. There, a natural water source can be found, which possibly gave its name to the village “Vrissi”(Tap). Others believe that the name “Vrissi” comes from the word “Vresi”, a folk version of the word “Evresi” (finding).  Η Παναγία του Βρυσιού
The icon of Virgin Mary of “Vrissi” (representing the child-holding Madonna) was discovered at the beginning of the 17th century, but the icon itself is dated during the 15th century. A Franciscan order nun, who lived in “Tarambados”, dreamt of Virgin Mary, who indicated the place where they should dig to find her Icon. After repeated tries, the nun convinced the locals to search and, at last, the icon was found under a heap of reeds, according to what Virgin Mary hinted. It was transferred to the church of Tarambados, but although they had decided to place it there, the icon returned to the place it was found. Finally, they built a small chapel on that site, dedicated to Virgin Mary of “Vrissi”. Today the Icon is kept inΗ Παναγία στο Βρυσί the Cathedral of Tarambados and on the eve of its celebration (14/08) it is transferred to “Vrissi”. There, a great festival takes place, with the reunion of the Catholic priests and believers from Tinos and elsewhere. The second big celebration takes place in “Vrissi” on the second Sunday of May. The once small chapel has been rebuilt as an expanded version, so as to satisfy the needs of the crowds of pilgrims. According to a folk tradition, the Icon has passed some adventurous moments. After it was transferred to Constantinople to cure a patient, he sent back to Tinos an identical copy, after his recovery, instead of the original icon. Only after his death this fraud was discovered and the real icon returned to its base. Today”, the copy is kept in “Vrissi, as well.

“Smardakito”
Το Σμαρδάκιτο στην ΤήνοThis village has been preserved more than any other, keeping its traditional architectural features. With a view to the valley of “Komi” and Xomburgo, it is all green, due to the bountiful waters in the area. At the square of the village, there is the church of Saint Anthony with the high bell tower, and on the opposite side, the famous drinking fountain with the cool water which placates the visitor’s thirst. The local cultural association created a folk- museum which exhibits old furniture, embroidery, household utensils and agricultural tools dating as back as the 16th century.

“Kardiani”
Η Καρδιανή της ΤήνουThe first village we come across at the southwestern side of the island (Exo Meri), is "Kardiani". This special village has a privileged and unique position, with its water sources as well as its archeology. It is built like an outdoor theater and is “clambered” on the slope of the mountain “Pateles”, with a view to the Aegean Sea and its islands.

The village is green due to the numerous water sources. The drinking fountains are found all over the place, even inside the houses. Furthermore, the area comprises one of the most ancient sites, proving that life existed on the island since then. The discovery of the geometrical tombs in the area and the existence of the plateau “War’s valley” are facts beyond dispute. The village is inhabited by Orthodox people, their Cathedra being the Holy Trinity, but there is also the presence of Catholics with their two churches, “Metastasis of Virgin Mary” called “Santissimo” by the locals and “Virgin Mary's Birthday” called “Kiura”. Pay attention to the picturesque arches and slab-paved steps and alleys. Even the houses with marvelous architecture are a proof of the artistic temperament of the villagers, decorate the village and invite the visitor to explore it. It has two cultural Associations, the “Holy Trinity” and the “Popular Kardiani Brotherhood”. The historian-researcher Stefanos Delatolas was born here. There is a traditional coffee house combined with a grocery, as well as a tavern. Finally, anyone wanting to combine their strolling with swimming, can choose among three beaches offered, the cove “Giannaki” with taverns, “Kalyvia” and “Saint Peter” with the homonymous chapel.

“Ysternia”
Το χωριό Υστέρνια στην ΤήνοIt is one of the biggest villages in Tinos, clambered on the bank of the mountain “Meroviglio”, with a fantastic view to Syros, a real balcony over the Aegean Sea. It is located at the southwestern side of the island, and it owes its name to this fact, the word Ysternia meaning outmost. Due to its position, close to marble deposits, the village is abundantly clad with this stone. On the houses, the lintels, the yards, the drinking fountains, the busts and the statues that have been sculpted by local sculptors, the steps, even the ground, wherever the imagination of every builder can go, white color is present. The square “N. Glini” with the bust of the village benefactor attracts the visitors, inviting them to rest in the shade of the old plane-tree and to refresh themselves at the drinking fountain. The Byzantine church of Saint Paraskevi, at the centre of the village is marble-clad inside out. This village is a real cradle of art and virtue, as many of the village artists have contributed to its decoration. It is the birthplace of many considerable sculptors such as, Ant. Sohos, L. Lameras, G. Kyrarinis, I. and Fr. Malakates, and the Fytali brothers. In the village there is a museum, where pieces of the village artists works are exhibited.

The cultural Association of the village publishes the newspaper “Ta Ysterniotika” (news of Ysternia) since 1983 and with the events it organizes, contributes to highlighting local tradition and culture. The village has some coffee houses, a grocery store, a tavern, rooms to let, as well as a marble sculpting workshop. A road leads to the cove and the beach “Skinaki”, where rooms for rent are located together with sea food taverns. At the northern part of the island, we come across an impressive landscape, where remnants of an array of many windmills have been standing as signs of past glory. They have been declared as ‘listed monuments’ by the Greek state. Near this area, the church of “The re-discovery” is placed. It was built there, after the rescuing of the Annunciation Icon, when it was stolen.

GEORGE VITALIS
He was born in “Ysternia” in 1840 from an architect father, whom he didn’t follow professionally. He studied sculpting at the School of Arts of the Technical University of Athens and after seven years he graduated with the first prize. He continued in the Academy of Arts in Munich, where he rose to prominence andΓ. Βιτάλης he was offered a teaching job there. He preferred though, to return to Greece and particularly to Syros, where he founded a marble sculpting workshop, where he created many remarkable sculptures that embellished the city of “Hermoupolis”, such as the marble chancel screen of Saint Nicholas. Furthermore, he decorated the royal palace and the mansions of Athens, while Harilaos Trikoupis, appraising his work, kept asking his opinion about the artworks he was going to decorate the Capital with. Among his creations there is the statue of the English politician Gladstone, a supporter of the Greek cause, placed in the yard of the Athens University.

LAZARUS SOHOS
Λάζαρος ΣώχοςLazarus Sohos from “Ysternia” was born in 1862. At the age of 14 he studied at the School of Arts in Athens. At the end of his studies, in 1881, he left for Paris, on a scholarship by the Holy Foundation of the Annunciation of Tinos. He studied at the French Academy of Fine Arts, where he made himself known. While being in Paris, he founded a workshop of marble sculpting, where the greatest artists of Europe used to meet.

The works that he designed and created are inspired by the Greek history and nature. He seems influenced by Roden’s art and he stands out for his romanticism. He is one of the most highly acclaimed artists, having been awarded prizes up to 17 times. In 1905, together with Lazarus Fytalis, he started the reconstruction of the monument of the “Lion of Haironia”, while simultaneously, he supervised the reconstruction works in the archeological site of Ancient Olympia. In 1908, he was granted a professorship in the Higher School of Arts in Athens and three years later he passed away at the age of 49.

ANTONY SOHOS
He was born in “Ysternia” in 1888 and he passed away in Athens in 1975. Coming from a family with artistic tradition in marble Arts, he studied at the Higher School of Arts, where he won his degree, and afterwards with the help of a public scholarship, in Paris at the School of Fine Arts. He took part in competitions and he was frequently awarded prizes. From 1926 until 1953 he taught sculpting at the Higher School of Arts in Athens. During the last years of his life he practiced wood carving. A room in the yard of the Annunciation church of Tinos was dedicated to Antony Sohos, where pieces of his are exhibited. His work is embellishing various places in Greece and abroad.

LAZARUS LAMERAS
From a family with a tradition in sculpting, Lazarus Lameras was born in “Ysternia” in 1918. He was influenced by Tinos and the great G. Halepas and he studied at the Higher School of Arts and in Paris, where he rose to eminence and fame. He is the first sculptor who presented abstract works of sculpture in Greece, while he designed monuments, busts, war memorials and much more, as well as the biggest copper statue in Greece, 5,5 meters high(“Sentinel” in Kalpaki). 

MALAKATE BROTHERS
Bothers Jacob and Francisco Malakates come from “Ysternia”. They had been top sculptors. In Athens, they founded the first sculpting workshop, where great artists have emerged. The first brother had been executing all the big ornamental works, which the Bavarian architects assigned him and he was decorated with the “Silver Cross of the Saviour”. The second one had been a great statue sculptor.

FYTALI BROTHERS
Αφοι Φυτάλη(George, Markus, Lazarus, John and Haralambos)
They were born in “Ysternia” right after 1820, from a sculptor father from whom they inherited the artistic temperament. They founded a workshop in Athens, which had been an artistic cradle, between 1840-1878. All the brothers came to be distinguished in the field of Arts, complementing each other. Many of their works can be found in the 1st Cemetery of Athens, while the piece “Jesus holding the lamp” is done solely by George (Fytalis).

“Giados”
O Τζάδος της ΤήνουIt is a small picturesque village with a structure formed like a pyramid and a nice view. It is placed on the bank of “Kehrovouni”, with the church of Saint Anna built at its highest point. On Her name day, in the summer, it draws crowds of people for the renowned festival and the hospitality of its inhabitants. In the green dell there is a traditional well (a source with laundresses) and running water.

“Kehros”
το χωριό ΚέχροςIt is one more small and hospitable village with pretty houses and the church of Virgin Mary (Myrtiotissa) with its bell tower dominating the village. It is known for the art of the horse-saddle makers which were formerly working there as well as for the many confectioners who are established in Athens and elsewhere.

“Mesi” (Middle)
Το χωριό ΜέσηIt is placed on a hub of the area’s road network (where the name comes from), since at the borders of “Mesi”, at “Pentostrato”, five central main roads unite, leading to every direction on Tinos. It is a village with a few arches and a beautiful square in its middle as well as a remarkable church of the Taxiarchs at its entrance. Here, you can come across the monastery of Saint Francesco which houses the museum of agricultural tools, but also taverns and a traditional confectionary and bakery. The village Association is worth mentioning.

“Steni”
Το χωριό ΣτενήIt is a central village, placed at the foothill of “Tsiknias”. The inhabitants, both orthodox and catholic, cohabitated peacefully, during long periods of time. Saint Anthony, in the neighborhood of “Kamari”, cathedral of the orthodox people, is an old church with a delicate wood carved chancel screen, a pulpit and a bishop-throne. At the lower “Steni”, Saint Nicholas of the catholics is a beautiful and newly refurbished church. The village has plenty of arches, traditional houses but also modern ones, while it also has a day-care center, an elementary school, a rural doctor’s office, two grocery stores, a butcher shop, an electrician’s shop and a car-repair shop. Taverns, coffee houses and cafeterias meet the visitors’ demands. During the summer months, the folk-museum operates. It was founded in 2000, with the collaboration of the two Associations of the village, named “Tsiknias” and “Saint Antony”. The items exhibited are mostly old (up to 2 centuries) household utensils, many of them being original and highly interesting. Those two Associations present a remarkable cultural activity. It has a great tradition in athletics and is the birthplace of many outstanding athletes (Fr. Alvertis). 

“Potamia”
Το χωριό ΠοταμιάIt is located near “Steni” with a view to Mykonos and the Sea of “Tsiknias”, surrounded by green dells with running waters which formerly had been used in running the watermills of the area. The village has the traditional houses built close to each other. In the village centre, its cathedral is called “Virgin Mary of Carmillo.” There are only a few permanent inhabitants left, who are farmers, but there is a considerable Association that during the summer organizes special events. From here you can visit the beautiful beaches of “Santa Margarita” and “Faneromeni”. 

“Myrsini”
Το χωριό ΜυρσίνηOn the way from “Steni” to “Livada”, we come across “Myrsini”, a clearly traditional village. The church of “The Annunciation of Virgin Mary”, has three aisles, is magnificent and has a well organized architectural structure. There are two taverns, as well as a grocery store and an English language center. Whoever desires to climb “Tsiknias”, the highest mountain of Tinos, can start from here. 

“Falatados”
ΦαλατάδοςIt comprises the second biggest village after “Pyrgos”, dated since 1400 AC. The village is traditional, with narrow cobbled alleys and many arches. The inhabitants, in cooperation with their progressive Association, organize many events of cultural and religious content. The Holy Trinity, a massive and impressive church with a cupola, adorns the village. It has a coffee house-grocery, cafeterias and taverns with traditional dishes. Here a place of figurative Arts operates with both contemporary and old exhibits, as well as the so called “house of exhibitions”. Some other interesting feature is the exhibition center, housed in the old elementary school, with paintings of classic artists. During September, the famous festival of the arrack production takes place in its schoolyard. There are also many old winepresses and arrack makers here which are well preserved and operating.

“RAKIZIO” (Arrack brewing)
The "rakizio" belongs to the auxiliary rooms of the village house, where the farmers brew their raki (from the Indian orak), the traditional strong drink of Tinos. After the vine harvest and the grape stepping in the wine presser, they take the remnants of the bunches and put them in a copper boiler with a 40-120 kg capacity, on which a cap is firmly placed which ends at a coniform exit with a pipe. They place it on a focal point with strong fire, for the distillation to start (after getting a special permit from the chemical state authorities). The pipe goes through a water tank, and comes out from the opposite side.

During the boiling the steam produced from the boiler goes through the pipe which is cold because of the water and there it is liquefied, dripping at the exit into a container. The first arrack is so strong, that it was used as ethanol in the past. After some time, the next raki, is produced. In the village of “Falatados” the “rakizio” has been established as a celebration and every year on the 8th of September, people from all over the island, meet in the old elementary school yard. As the raki is produced, the people who attend drink together, while the women offer food. Dancing and singing with violins and lutes, follow.

“Koumaros”
ΚουμάροςIt is a small traditional village on Tinos, built on the slope of the mountain “Fourka”, under the shadow of the imposing rock of Xomburgo. It faces the valley from above and most of the villages of the Tinian hinterland. An old path connects the village with the old castle of Xomburgo. There is a coffee house which operates with a Swiss system and everyone can be self serviced. Near by, there is the old derelict monastery of the Ursulines and the chapel of Saint Angela, founder of the brotherhood.

“Volax”
Το χωριό Βωλάξ στην ΤήνοThis village is built in the most unique landscape, not only of the island, but also of the rest of the world. The white houses with the flower yards are found among the granite blocks offering a Καλαθοπλέκτης στη Βωλάξremarkable spectacle. The only workshops of baskets of the island are found here and the elderly technicians proud of their art, show their baskets to the visitors. A small outdoor theatre, well used under the summer, gives a special note to the village, while a folk- museum is also available.

 

THE PHENOMENON OF THE LANDSCAPE IN "VOLAX"
One of the unusual sights of Tinos is the landscape of the village “Volax”. The visitor comes across a remarkable phenomenon: enormous round rocks are to be found scattered around a vast territory. The big and small rock formations, that have given their name to that beautiful picturesque village standing among and on them, provoke the interest and curiosity of the beholder trying to explain the reason they were created and took these shapes. The specialists advocate that granite existed here. Tο φαινόμενο ΒωλάξAs the time went by and after the corrosions and detritions took place, some pieces were separated from one another. Their present circular shape is owed to external factors, like dampness, the changes of the temperature and the wind. On the other hand, myths want the phenomenon to be attributed to meteorites, to the Titan fights or simply to the sea that someday covered this area. At any rate, the scenery is marvelous and satisfies every visitor.

“Xynara”
Το χωριό ΞινάραOn the slope of Xomburgo there is this village, built among pines and palm trees, with the old houses and the two Catholic churches at the edges, Virgin Mary of Rodario (Metropolis of the Catholic Archbishop) and the church of the Apostles Peter and Paul. During the mediaeval years this village was the island's centre of trading and commerce. At its entrance, a big building stands out, headquarter of the Catholic Archbishop of Tinos. It is called the “Bishop’s Palace” with the seminarists’ study room, while today the church archives are found. One can find the archives of the catholic parishes (the oldest in Tinos) and an ecclesiastic heirlooms museum, where items from 23 different parishes of the island and other Cycladic islands are exhibited.

THE ARCHIVE OF THE CATHOLIC ARCHBISHOP OF TINOS
The archive is housed at the headquarters of the Catholic Archbishop of Tinos, in the village of “Xynara”. It is mainly ecclesiastical, but it also includes documents regarding the life of the Tinian villagers, during the past centuries. The oldest document, which is dated since 1390, concerns the catholic community and due to its nature it increases continuously.
The archive consists of three sections:
    The episcopal archive. It involves mainly the relation among the bishop of Tinos and Rome, the local authority, the Greek government, other bishops, the correspondence among bishops and more. 
     Parochial archives. Codes and files are included from the villages of Tinos, original family documents which they consigned to the parish priest to keep, certificate books, church history and their property, ecclesiastical books etc.
  Documents of the Consistory Court. They mostly regard the life of the inhabitants and the differences between them but also equity documents at the time of the dominance of the Venetians and the Turks. Apart from these, the archives of the catholic churches of Mykonos, Andros, Chios, Lesbos and Samos, are also kept. Furthermore, various documents, such as the Consistory Court of Crete code (1580-1610), Sultans’ and Turkish officers’ diktats and more. The archive is classified until 1850 and available to the public. Efforts are being made for the subsequent documents to be classified too.


“Loutra”
Το χωριό ΛουτράThe village has taken its name from the baths (loutra), that formerly existed in the area. It is green and full of gardens and citrus fruits. It has a large history, as this was the place with the sabbeys of the Jesuit monks (after the destruction of the Castle at the beginning of the 19th century) and the Ursuline nuns. It had been one of the most important thorps of the island during the past two centuries and it comprised a religious and cultural centre. In the Jesuit monastery, a folkloric museum operates, where you can admire, apart from the monastery’s heirlooms, agricultural and other professional tools of the 19th and 20th century, an olive-press, a wine-press, a raki brewing equipment, the academy pharmacy, several means of audio-visual teaching and more. There is also the significant Church of Saint Joseph (of the middle of the 19th century), built as a baroque neo-classical buildings with an extraordinary interior design (efforts are being made to collect money for its preservation). At the Convent of the Ursulines, embroidery is exhibited, previous students’ books, pianos, and other instruments. The village’s active Association, organizes events of cultural interest quite often.

THE CONVENT OF THE URSULINES
It was founded in “Loutra” in 1862 by a nun of the Ursuline order. It started with bright perspectives and it was meant to house an orphanage, a boarding school, a French high-school, a university, a Greek elementary school and a carpet making school. It reached its peak at the end of the 19th century, while in the beginning of the 20th century it had over 300 board students from all over Greece. During World War II, the school closed down and when it reopened it limited its operation to the elementary school, which closed down around 1980, while the carpet making school operated until 1990. Today, the building comprises the landmark of the village and it is somehow preserved even though it is abandoned as a teaching institution.

“Skalados”
ΣκαλάδοςThe village is built on the mountain slope with innumerable steps and a marvelous view to the villages around it. It combines both traditional and modern architecture. There are a coffee house and a tavern, where a tourist can have a pleasant stay.

 

“Krokos”
ΚρόκοςIt owes its name to the homonymous plant and it is built in a green ravine, where the visitor can stop on his way to "Komi" for a pleasant and refreshing break. It is the birthplace of the doctor-philosopher Markakis Zalonis, author of the “History of Tinos published in 1809. The village has coffee houses and picturesque taverns.

“Monastiria”
Μοναστήρια
It is an abandoned village. The scenery is brilliant and reminds the visitor of an outdoor museum. The well-preserved whitewashed church of Saint Joseph, at the entrance of the village, above the house ruins is creating an interesting contrast.



“Sklavohorio”
ΣκλαβοχωριόIt is small village, very well hidden from the others but with a unique view to the wild northern side of Tinos and the village “Agapi”. It should be mentioned that there is the church of the Holly Trinity, as well as the laundress that was constructed in 1821. The great painter Nicholas Ghizis comes from this village and you can visit his paternal house. It is the only exclusively orthodox village among the catholic villages of the vicinity. 

NICHOLAS GHIZIS
Νικόλαος ΓύζηςHe was born in 1842 in the village of “Sklavohorio” in Tinos. Since he was a child he liked to sketch and work with all sorts of drawings. In 1850 his family settled in Athens and his father wanted him to be a carpenter in the small carpentry he had. With the help of his mother, Nicholas studied for one year at the Technical School of Athens. According to the school’s rules, the students attending should be at least twelve years old but Nicholas was only eight. By forging a birth certificate that made him four years older, he could study there and completed his studies in 1861. In 1865, he earned a scholarship from the Holy Foundation of the Annunciation of Tinos, and studied in Munich for seven years where he excelled, following his own personal style. In 1872, when he returned to Athens, he created a painting studio and two years later, went back to Munich, as he was obliged by his scholarship. He was being praised by the top art critics of Munich for his work and, as a result of his merits, he got elected as an ordinary professor of fine arts at the Academy of Munich in 1888. In December of 1900 he passed away, in Munich among his friends and family, causing sadness in the artistic world, his students and the Greek community of Munich.Νικόλαος Γύζης
The cardinal point of his inspiration is the human being in an idealistic environment, specific events of family life but also the world of children, where he expresses his character. Apart from the East that he visited with his friend N. Lytras, he has been influenced by archeological topics and mythological configurations, the most important among them being the one of a woman holding a Lyre. During the last years of his life, the artist expresses his existential agony by painting religious themes. The environment plays a secondary role here, while the light and darkness dominate. Some of his most important pieces are “The secret school”, “The kissing” and more.

“Agapi”
ΑγάπηIt is one of the most traditional and hospitable villages of the island, spread on the slope with a specific architecture, arches, lintels, alleys paved with slabs and a well. The river and the well preserved dove-cotes induce the visitor to explore it. The remarkable church of Saint Agapitos has given its name to the village. There is a coffee house and a tavern, and from here you can be led to the contiguous Virgin Mary (Vourniotissa).

“Perastra”
It is built on the ravine with the same name, beside “Komi” with which is connected by a traditional path. It is green with cute rock stone- bridges, refreshing fountains, ruins of oil presses and windmills. 
                       Περάστρα-Κώμη
“Komi”
It is a head village of Tinos, built on the fertile valley of the island, “Livadi”. It is a village full of life, whith many people in the little streets and alleys and several children playing in the squares. It is also self-sufficient, as it provides all the goods, not only to its inhabitants, but also to the villagers around it. Walking through the paths, resting at its beautiful squares and visiting the catholic church of Saint John, with the marble pre-Christian engraved column found in its yard, can be a nice experience. The largest part of the island’s agricultural and artichoke production is done here. Furthermore, the artichoke festival which is organized in “Komi” at the beginning of May is pretty popular. The village has a tavern, a coffee shop, a grocery store, a rural doctor’s office, as well as the active Association of “Komi-Perastra”.

ARTICHOKE FESTIVALΦεστιβάλ Αγγινάρας
The importance of the artichoke production on this island is shown in the “Artichoke festival” that was started the last few years, valorizing this special vegetable. For this reason, 5000-10000 artichokes are being donated by the local farmers. In the morning of the established day at the beginning of May, the women of the village of “Komi”, where the festival takes place, start cleaning and cooking the artichokes. In the evening, when crowds of people reach the village to celebrate, they have filled the tables with various dishes, based on this tasty vegetable. The recipes used are many and you can find artichokes: in omelets, papoutsakia, “a la polita”, with fish, with meat, with eggs and lemon, boiled, in salads and more. The people taste all these culinary creations, while the violins and other instruments play traditional music. People are following the celebration, dancing until dawn.

“Kato Klisma”
It is one of the most fertile villages of the island, while the grassland starts from here. It has a lot of water, cornstalks, and a lot of green. The church of Saint Anastasia is very interesting, built on the ruins of a pre-Christian sanctuary and ruins of old oil presses.

“Aetofolia” (eagle´s nest)
This village has taken its name by its position resembling an “eagle´s nest”. It is built high on a slope of the “North Mountain” (tou voria to vouni). It is picturesque, with its traditional elements preserved and with a nice view to “Kato Meri”. The new road that was recently opened connects the village to “Exo Meri” through the location “Tis koris o pyrgos” (The daughter's Tower), one of the most ancient on the island. Καλονή-Καρκάδος-Αετοφωλιά

“Karkados”
The thorp took its name from the word “Halkados”, due to the ancient copper (=halkos) quarry that functioning in the area. In this small village you can find the old church of Sotiras, (The Savior) which is distinguished for its bell tower “the small Pisa tower” which has a slight inclination.

“Kalloni” (beauty)
It is a big green village at the edge of the plains of “Komi” with a lot of beautiful arches. Its old name, “Kellia”, refers to some monk cells that existed in the area. Worth visiting is the great church of Saint Zaharias, one of the biggest in Tinos, with its pebble-paved yard as well as the Monastery of Saint Ypakoi (obedience). The pork slaughters, although being held in many villages, turn into festivals, here. On the last Sunday of the carnival, the locals preserve the custom of burning down the carnival sight. Formerly, there used to be a carpet making school in this village. The last few years, there is a road connecting “Kalloni” and the villages around with the main road “Chora-Pyrgos”. The village has a coffee house, a tavern, a grocery store and more.

THE PORK SLAUGHTERSΤα χοιροσφάγια
In several villages in Tinos, the pork slaughters are being held during the autumn months. This custom has been celebrated for many years, through a long ceremony, not only with the presence of the family that holds them, but nearly the whole village. Days before the slaughter of the pork the women pick up, blight and grate flavourings along with salt, while the house, the yard and the surrounding areas are being cleaned. The men take care of storing enough wood, to be available for the fire that will be needed for the slaughter. In the middle of October, when the temperature starts to drop and the rain comes, the villagers fix the date that the pork will be slaughtered. The weight of the pork signifies pride for a high accomplishment for its owner, since a well-fed pork can get over 200 kg. That means enough meat and fat for the family for the whole year. The pork slaughter is being started very early in the morning, with the participation of other villagers and wishes are being given to the family man for the pork to be “well eaten”. The cleaning of the slaughter house follows, while the girls treat the participants with raki along with prunes, almonds, walnuts, delights and much more. Thereafter, the animal is being taken out and killed; then, his body hair is burned. Afterwards it is hanged high on a hook for its slaughtering and it is cut into pieces. First, its entrails are being taken out and fried or cooked by the housewife for lunch. Part of the animal turns into sausages and “Louza” (special ham), while the skin fat is being melted in boilers, to turn into fat, to be kept for the winter. Participants in the dinner are the village priest, the rest of the villagers and some friends that are also invited. The tables with the spotless table linen are covered, apart from the delicious pork, with local specialties, salads, Tinian cheese, olives as well as local wine, offering inimitable moments to the guests. Many times, the violin and the lute play music, to complete this special ceremony. This procedure is repeated by all the households during autumn and the beginning of winter.

“Platia”
Πλατιά“Platia” is located on the way to Pyrgos, viewing the northern side of Tinos and the sea of “Panormos”. The parish church, “Virgin Mary's birthday” is particularly considerable for its artistic marble decoration. The war memorial, listing the village members of "Panormos" that took part in the Balkan Wars is also important, a piece of the great sculptor Michael Kouskouris. The base of the memorial, which stands on local rocks, presents a complex of flags, gun-fires, cannons and laurel branches, while on its top there is an eagle. The village has a museum of ecclesiastical heirlooms and a tavern.

“Venardados”
ΒεναρδάδοςJust before “Pyrgos”, we come across “Venardados” built amphitheatrically, following the hill slopes, with old traditional houses, as well as the well. It has as a cathedra of "Saint John the Theologist", with a marble chancel screen, and the byzantine icons made by Nicholas Gaitis, icon painter and church “chanter”, whose birthplace is here. Down at the ravine, hidden among the tree foliage, there is a chapel of Saint Fanourios, where people from the nearby villages are drawn to, on the day of its celebration. Giannoulis Koulouris was born here, as well as Manolis Boulgaris, marble sculptors, and Lili Berde, ballet dancer of the Opera. In earlier times, a sewing school was operating, where girls from Pyrgos also came to study.

“Marlas”
ΜαρλάςIt is built on a slope viewing “Pyrgos”. In this beautiful and picturesque village, the parish church of Aghioi Anargyroi dominates the surroundings, distinguished for its artistic marble decoration, as well. Over the main entrance, the Saints with the cross in the middle and a snake wrapped around have been engraved on a marble slab, the only relief of this sort existing in Greece. At a short distance, a Mycenaen dome-shaped geometrical tomb has been discovered, while the Monastery of Kyra Xeni and Saint Thecla are placed further, in the peace and beauty of the arid and wild landscape. Formerly, laboratories of “talcum” and “flint stone” operated there.

“Mamados”
ΜαμάδοςIt is the most remotely placed village of Tinos, with a view to the channel between Tinos and Andros. This small thorp is pure and clean, due to the winds blowing there. It is picturesque, with traditional white houses, flower gardens and alleys paved with slabs. The Association of Marlas-Mamados organizes interesting cultural events.

“Ismael”
It is a derelict village near “Marlas”. The inhabitants that had been left took refuge to the villages “Marlas” and “Mamados”, while in 1968 the last resident left as well.

“Pyrgos”
ΠύργοςThe biggest village in Tinos and one of the oldest ones, owes its name to an old Venetian Castle (Pyrgos), which existed in the area and to which documents of the 16th century refer. It is surrounded by mountains and stands out for the picturesque and beautiful architecture, while it preserves the Tinian tradition unaltered. It is the birthplace of many great artists of Tinos and the entire Greece as well: names as Giannoulis Halepas, D. Fillipotis, N. Lytras are mentioned here.

Νεκροταφείο ΠύργουThe artistic tradition is obvious from the house architecture, the marble lintels, the numerous ornaments everywhere, even in the streets, the drinking fountains and the marvellous churches. The local sculptors, taking advantage of the privilege of the white and green marble deposits, which abound in the area, have carefully decorated the village, which could be considered an outdoor museum.

Πλατεία Πύργου The following places are worth visiting: The "Artists of Panormos" museum, the houses of Halepas and Lytras, the multitude of workshops of local sculptors, the unique square with the marble dinking fountain and the centenarian plane-tree and, finally, the impressive churches of Saint Nicholas and Saint Dimitrios with their delicate decoration.

The village cemetery is of great interest with the amazing marble crafted gravestones, great artistic pieces of sculpture, and the School of Arts, the only one in Greece, while beside it was recently founded the museum of Marble Arts. "Pyrgos", even though remote, has all the necessities. With the traditional coffee houses all concentrated on the main square, but also all over the village, the bakery and many more stores, the village is an ideal destination for every visitor.

GIANNOULIS HALEPAS
Γιαννούλης ΧαλεπάςHe was born in the beginning of the 1850-ies in "Pyrgos". His father was a marble sculptor and this contributed to his artistic inclination for the Art of Marble carving, from a very young age. After his apprenticeship at the Lyceum in Syros, and although his parents were destining him for a commercial career, he managed to persuade them to let him attend the Higher Academy of Figurative Arts in Athens, between the years 1869 and 1872. His performance surprised his professors; he soon got his degree as a sculptor with excellent grades and left the next year for the Higher Academy of Figurative Arts in Munich, on a scholarship by the Holly Foundation of the Annunciation of Tinos. When he returned to Athens, he rented a small ground floor store and set his lab. Κοιμωμένη ΧαλεπάIn this workshop he completed his work named "The Satyr playing with Love" and started working on his most famous sculpture, "The sleeping Lady" a monumental grave sculpture, still located outdoors, at the First cemetery of Athens.

In 1878 he got a nervous breakdown and, as a result crushed a lot of his works, while he repeatedly tried to commit suicide. The first period of the artist's work ends here, being the most creative and important. After visiting specialists in Greece and abroad, his relatives decided to put him in the psychiatric clinic of the Hospital in Corfu. During the several years he stayed there, the doctors and guards forbad him to draw and destroyed everything he created. The same happened when he was transferred to his home in Tinos, under the strict supervision of his mother, who din't permit any contact with Art, neither coal nor clay, getting to the point of destroying his works. After her death, in 1916, and having been totally estranged from his Art, the artist becomes a shepherd, carrying the stigma of a lunatic.

Nonetheless, he finds the power to create some pieces of work in clay. Due to the noise and commotion that several Art critics are making about his abandonment by the Government, he emerges from obscurity. In 1927, the Athens Academy rewards him with the blue ribbon of Arts. In 1930, the second period of his work, that reveals his disturbed psychological situation, is completed. The last years of his life he lived and started working again in the house that his niece had accorded to him in Dafnomili Street in Athens, where he lived until his death in 1938. The works of this third period are of lower value, in comparison to his previous artistic level.

Giannoulis Halepas belongs to the top sculptors of contemporary Greek Art. His work refers to classicism, but in the same time, their geometrical structure signifies something modernistic. The expressiveness of the faces and the bodies of the statues he creates, either being the "Satyr", or “Medea” or even his most famous one, “The sleeping beauty,” is noble, magnetizes every observer and places Halepas on the same level as Rodin.

NIKIFOROS LYTRAS
Νικηφόρος ΛύτραςIn 1832, another great artist was born in "Pyrgos"; Nikiforos Lytras. He studied in Athens after his teacher's encouragement, who detected his flair for painting. He attended the Higher School of Arts at the Athens Technical School and then, with a governmental scholarship he studied in Munich. His progress won the admiration of his teachers and he was offered a position as a Professor in the Munich Academy, which he turned down and returned to Greece. In 1866, he Νικηφόρου Λύτρα "Ο Αγιασμός"was assigned as a Professor of the Athens Higher School of Arts, where he taught for 38 years, until his death in 1904. He was loved by his students for his mild and genial character. He was appraised as much in his country as internationally, for his artwork. He was the official portraitist of the Athens high society and with his ability to penetrate the character of his subjects, he enhances the personal elements of each person. His two travels to the East, along with his friend Ghizis, enriched his world with exotic figures of black people. Among his most important pieces are; "The Christmas Carols", "The bather" and more.

DIMITRIOS FILIPPOTIS
Δημήτριος ΦιλιππότηςHe was born in "Pyrgos" in 1839 and had an excellent marble sculptor father. He studied in the Art Academy of Rome, where he was admired and prized by his teachers. After his return to Athens, he founded a marble workshop, where he created marvelous pieces, which today embellish Athens as well as other places. "The wood-cutter", inside the "Zappeio Mansion" park is one of the best ones. The honors that were denied him by the government when alive, even though graduates of the Athens Technical School were practicing in his workshop, were given to him after his death (1919) with the big prize of Literature and Arts.

JOHN GAITIS
Γιάννης ΓαΐτηςBorn in 1923 in Athens with origins from "Pyrgos", John Gaitis, studied at the Higher School of Arts with teachers such as Konstantinos Parthenis and John Filippotis. While in Paris, he came across all the important artistic tendencies of the 20th century. Under the years 1944 - 1984, (when he died), he was really very productive, because he created over 4000 pieces or artwork and participated in many exhibitions. His "little people" with the characteristic striped suits, appear first during the 60's and they are established as the artist's trademark. Monotonously repeated, clad in suits resembling bar-codes, they express the response of Gaitis to the mechanical rhythms of the modern society. The painter was widely acknowledged abroad. Several of his paintings are to be found all over the world and a copy of his work is placed today at a Metro station in Athens.


SCHOOL OF ARTS
It was founded in the middle of the past century in the village of "Pyrgos", birthplace of many great artists, with the purpose of training students in marble carving. The graduates have the opportunity to continue their studies in the Higher School of Arts in Athens, while the best two of themΣχολή Καλών Τεχνών Πανόρμου, achieving the best scores, enter without exams. Being unique, it attracts students from all over Greece. The studies last three years and the courses taught are sculpture, painting, marble carving, free-hand drawing, Art history and composition. The graduates can work as free-lancers in their workshops or in reconstructive works in archeological sites (such as Parthenon et.al.) The Pan-Hellenic Sacred Σχολή Καλών Τεχνών ΠανόρμουFoundation of Virgin Mary in Tinos (P.I.I.E.T) played and still plays a very important role for the School of Arts from its start until today, supporting it financially as well as subsidizing the students’ meals. Besides that, other local institutions support the School, such as the “Fraternity of Tinian people in Athens”, the former "Panormos" Municipality and the borough of Xomburgo (nowadays integrated to Tinos Municipality). In the beginning, the School belonged to the Greek State Education and Religion Ministry, while today it belongs to the Ministry of Culture, which sponsors it every year.


"Panormos"
ΠάνορμοςIt comprises the seaport of "Pyrgos". This sea port village, built near a natural bay and beside a little lake, is located at the north side of Tinos. With the island "Planitis" in the centre of the port, it was considered one of the biggest ports of the island during the past centuries, as witnessed by the abandoned lighthouse on "Planitis". (Today efforts are being made for its preservation). The transit trade of "Exo Meria" was being conducted through this port. Today, there are only small fisher boats and ketches, as well as touristic crafts. It is a beloved destination for both the visitors and the locals, because it combines picturesque beaches on either side of the port (Aghia Thalassa (Saint Sea), Kavalourko, Rohari and others) with the unique coffee shops and taverns offering fresh sea food. That is the reason why it is considered one of the best touristic seaside resorts of Tinos.

 

 

Back to Tinos town & the villages