Greek English French Italian Russian
Swedish Polish

The Convent of the "Angels' Lady" on "Kehrovouni", Tinos

According to the local tradition, three sisters from the village of "Tripotamos" saw the same dream: a lady (Virgin Mary) was telling them to build an convent and take monastic vows, in a specific place on the mountain "Kehrovouni", where they could see a strange light. After controversies with the rest of their family, they finally decided to obey the lady of their dream. Since the winds at that specific area were very strong and the area full of snakes, they attempted to build their cells a little bit further to the south. However, although they tried hard, the new built cells were ruined during the night and the construction tools were mysteriously found at the spot recommended initially. After they were convinced that they should obey the holy command, they built three cells which afterwards comprised the convent's central point.  Η μονή Κεχροβουνίου στην Τήνο
Due to the lack of reliable sources that could confirm this legend, it is estimated that the convent was built around the 11th-12th century AC, even though the first document that refers to it is of the 17th century (possibly 1614). Built on an altitude of 600 m, clambered on the top of the mountain with a great view of the Town and the villages of Tinos, but also the Aegean and the islands around, this convent is a joy to every visitor and pilgrim.
Sister “Pelaghia” was one of the nuns of this Convent. One night, she saw a dream of Virgin Mary, indicating her the place where Her Icon was finally found, the one depicting Annunciation. After this incident, Tinos became the point of attraction for the Christians around the world. Nun Pelaghia was blessed by the orthodox church and 37 years ago, she was declared a Saint. Her remembrance is celebrated with a glorious ceremony in Tinos every year on the 23rd of July. In honor of the dreamer, the Annunciation Icon is escorted with a religious procession to the Convent in the morning. A Holy Mass is celebrated in the convent church by high ranking priests, while the nuns are chanting. A reception is following for the believers and, in the afternoon of the same day, the Icon is returned to its original place, at the Annunciation church in "Chora". The returning procession back to the city is very grandiose, where the Bishop, the Tinian clergy, the abbess and the nuns, plus thousands of people participate, following on foot. The Abbey risked being closed down repeatedly, like for example during the reign of king Otto and his Bavarian court, when he decreed the abolition of many Greek Abbeys and he actually succeeded in shutting down several ones. Nevertheless, the love and devotion of the Tinian people, the nuns and monks of the time, as well as the opposition of all devoted Christians, resulted not merely in the Abbey’s not closing, but, on the contrary, in its acquiring glory and fame all over the Christian world. Η μονή Αγίας Πελαγίας
Formerly, hundreds of nuns lived in the Abbey, but today their number has been reduced significantly, though it hasn't stopped attracting both pilgrims and visitors.     Η μονή Κεχροβουνίου
The Abbey of the "Angels' Lady", apart from being a stronghold for the orthodox faith, is standing as a sample of traditional Tinian architecture, as well. With the narrow marble paved alleys, its many arches and its whiteness and simplicity, it is a characteristic example of a Tinian settlement. The only difference from the rest of the villages is that it is built within walls, as an entrenchment, while the Tinian thorps (in contrast to the rest of the Cycladic islands,) are spread freely in the Tinian countryside.
Today, you can visit Saint Pelagia's cell, which has been kept unaltered, worship her skull, but also wander around the alleys, enjoying the peace and the quiet, where only nature's sounds are audible. The few nuns are always eager to give you a tour and talk about the abbey's history but also to offer a simple treat to the travelers.
It is worth mentioning that the Monastery contains a library with over 2000 books, which are many centuries old. Today the nuns pray, but also work to earn their living, like they did during the Byzantine years. With the marvelous needlework, other embroidery and herbs that they collect themselves, they try to preserve the Abbey, where they have lived until today, but also where the dreamer of Virgin Mary had lived.

The monastery of the Holy Heart of Jesus in Xomburgo

The Monastery of the Holy Heart of Jesus is considered one of the biggest pilgrimages of the Greek Catholic Church. It was founded by Jesuit monks, who came to Tinos in the second half of the 17th century and settled in a house given to them in the Castle, which they transformed into the church of Saint Sofia. After the castle's capitulation to the Turks and its destruction, the Jesuits settled in "Borgo" where in 1720-25 they built a big church, beside the chapel of Saint Catherine, naming it the church of Saint Sofia, in memory of the first church in the Castle. In 1837-38, they moved to the village of “Loutra” where, on their own property, they built a Monastery and a church dedicated to Saint Joseph. At the end of the 19th century, though, with the mediation of the abbot of the Monastery of "Loutra" and the villagers' donations, the collapsing church of Saint Sofia was totally renovated and was renamed as church of the Holy Heart of Jesus. After a period of abandonment, it was renovated again in the middle of the 20th century, taking its expanded present form. It includes, apart from the church, a restaurant and chambers for the guests. Standing in the middle of the forecourt, the statue of the Holy Heart of Jesus, created by I. Filippotis in 1950, is dedicated to the Catholics lost in wars under the time periods between 1912 and 1950. Every second Sunday of July, celebrations are held, with the turnout of believers coming from all over Greece. Both the believers and the visitors receive a warm welcome and hospitality, during the summer months.
                      Το μοναστήρι Καρδιά του Ιησού